Unemployment Benefits

/Tag:Unemployment Benefits

Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?

By | February 3rd, 2017|Categories: Potpourri of Tax Topics|Tags: |

The short answer to this question is: yes. Unemployment benefits are reported to the recipient on a Form 1099-G, and the benefits are taxable. There was a year or two, several years ago, where the federal government allowed people to exclude a certain amount of unemployment benefits from taxation, but that provision expired. In Iowa, unemployment [...]

Comments Off on Are Unemployment Benefits Taxable?

Ask Jason 2/24/12

By | February 24th, 2012|Categories: Potpourri of Tax Topics|Tags: , , , |

All of these are actual questions from visitors to this website over the last few weeks: Q: Can a self-employed person deduct health insurance for same-sex spouse? A: Yes, if the spouse is your dependent. Otherwise, the answer is no. That's on the federal return. But also consider the implications on the state tax return. The [...]

Comments Off on Ask Jason 2/24/12