Accounting and Tax Services for Small Businesses and Individuals in the Des Moines, Iowa Area and Beyond

Glossary: Form W-2

Form W-2 is a reporting for issued by employers to employees. The W-2 shows the amount of wages paid to the employee during the year, as well as the amount of taxes withheld.

The Dinesen Tax Times

Glossary: Bonus Depreciation

May 24th, 2017|0 Comments

Bonus depreciation, in tax terms, refers to an accelerated form of depreciation available on certain types of assets.

What I Mean When I Say “Consult an Attorney”

May 22nd, 2017|0 Comments

I don’t recommend a small business hold an attorney on retainer. But I DO recommend that a small business have a relationship with an attorney that they can call on when the need arises.

If Newly Self-Employed, Beware of Self-Employment Tax

May 18th, 2017|0 Comments

Self-employment tax is the bane of existence for many sole proprietors. And it’s often a surprise to people who are new to self-employment -- they file their tax return and find out that things often turn out much differently when you’re self-employed.

Small Business

305, 2016

You Can Afford Employees But Not an Accountant?

Things business owners have actually said to me: "I hired employees but can't afford an accountant."

1203, 2015

Why Do Unethical Clients Bother Working With Tax and Accounting Pros?

I'm always confused when an unethical client bothers seeking out the help of a licensed professional.

State Taxes

805, 2017

Basics of the Iowa Pension Exclusion, Part 1

Tax law in Iowa allows some people who are receiving retirement benefits to avoid taxation on some or all of those benefits. Here’s an overview.

2404, 2017

Can an Iowa Tax Return be Amended from Joint to Separate Filing Status?

Unlike with federal tax returns, taxpayers can indeed amend an Iowa return to separate filing status after filing the original Iowa return jointly.