State Taxes

/State Taxes

Glossary: Iowa Form 130

By | August 15th, 2016|Categories: Glossary, State Taxes|Tags: , |

Form 130 is an Iowa income tax form used by taxpayers who live in Iowa and who had income taxed by another state.

Iowa Tuition & Textbook Credit and Private Religious Schools

By | July 28th, 2016|Categories: State Taxes|Tags: , |

For years, I have told my clients that they couldn't take the Iowa Tuition & Textbook Credit if they sent their kids to a private religious school. Iowa law states that the credit can not be taken for tuition expenses related to the teaching of religious doctrines. A client challenged me on this, and I now see that I was wrong.

Glossary: Iowa Tuition & Textbook Credit

By | March 28th, 2016|Categories: State Taxes|Tags: , , |

The Iowa tuition and textbook credit is a tax credit available on Iowa tax returns for qualifying expenses paid for K-12 education of a taxpayers' dependents. Almost any expense counts toward the credit. I went into more detail in this blog post from 2013. I generally tell people that only expenses paid to a public school, [...]

Glossary: Iowa Form 126

By | February 29th, 2016|Categories: State Taxes|Tags: , |

Iowa Form 126 is an Iowa income tax form used by non-residents and part-year residents to allocate income between Iowa sources and non-Iowa sources.

How is the Iowa Trust Fund Tax Credit Calculated?

By | February 19th, 2016|Categories: State Taxes|Tags: , , , |

The Iowa Trust Fund Tax Credit is a non-refundable Iowa tax credit that first appeared on 2013 tax returns. This post delves into how the state determines how big the credit is from year to year.