Here’s another question that’s come up. There are many same-sex couples from non-recognition states that came to “recognition” states to get married. For example, couples from Missouri or Nebraska drive to Iowa to get a marriage certificate. But then they drive back to Missouri or Nebraska and live there.

How does the DOMA ruling impact taxes for people in this situation?

IRS Revenue Ruling 58-66 says marital status is determined at the state level and does not change even if you move to a state that doesn’t recognize your marriage. RR 58-66 involved common-law marriage. If you are common-law married in a state that recognizes common-law marriage and then move to a state that doesn’t recognize common-law marriage, you’re still married for federal tax purposes. From that ruling:

The foregoing position of the Internal Revenue Service with respect to a common-law marriage is equally applicable in the case of taxpayers who enter into a common-law marriage in a state which recognizes such relationship and who later move into a state in which a ceremony is required to initiate the marital relationship.

But would this Revenue Ruling from 1958 regarding common-law marriage apply to same-sex couples from states like Missouri or Nebraska who drive to Iowa to get a marriage certificate but who actually live in Missouri or Nebraska, or some other non-recognition state? Or what if you live in Iowa, get married, but then change jobs and end up having to move to a state that doesn’t recognize your marriage?

And how would a couple in this situation file their state return? Would they need to file their federal return as a married couple, do separate “mock” single person returns and then use those mock returns to prepare their state return?

I am not sure. I haven’t dealt with common-law marriage before, so don’t know how that piece works and how applicable the common-law rules would be to same-sex couples.

My hope is that the IRS will release more information, sooner rather than later, to address things like this.

“This blog post, along with comments that may follow, should not be considered tax advice. Before you make final tax or financial decisions, please secure a professional tax advisor to give you advice about your unique situation. To secure Jason as your accountant, please click on the ‘Services’ link at the top of the page.”