If you live in Iowa and undertake a solar-energy project on your house, you might qualify for a tax credit on both your federal and state tax returns.

The federal government is offering a tax credit of 30% of the cost of a qualifying solar project. And Governor Branstad recently signed into law a new Iowa tax credit for solar projects that amounts to 50% of the federal credit, up to $3,000.

The catch on the Iowa credit is that the state has a limited amount of funds available for the credit and you have to apply in advance with the state for approval to “reserve” a credit on your 2012 tax return.

Qualifying projects include things such as solar electric projects and solar water heaters added to your main home or a second home. Projects at rental properties DO NOT qualify.

If you think you qualify for the credit, you should contact a tax professional such as me to get the application in to the state for approval.

Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net

“This blog post, along with comments that may follow, should not be considered tax advice. Before you make final tax or financial decisions, please secure a professional tax advisor to give you advice about your unique situation. To secure Jason as your accountant, please click on the ‘Services’ link at the top of the page.”