Taxpayers who have suffered damages from certain types of imported drywall may be able to take a tax deduction for the damages.  The Consumer Protection Safety Council says it has received several-thousand reports of “corrosive drywall” damage, including blackening or corrosion of copper wiring and copper elements of household appliances between 2001 and 2009.

Homeowners who have paid to have these drywall problems fixed can potentially take a casualty loss on their tax return.  Click here to read IRS guidance on the issue from this past fall.

A casualty loss deduction is only available to taxpayers who itemize, and the deduction amount must be reduced by $100 and by 10% of your adjusted gross income.

“This blog post, along with comments that may follow, should not be considered tax advice. Before you make final tax or financial decisions, please secure a professional tax advisor to give you advice about your unique situation. To secure Jason as your accountant, please click on the ‘Services’ link at the top of the page.”