Taxability of IRAs; Reporting a 1099-K; Deductions for Payments to Consultants — Ask Jason


Have a tax question burning in your mind? E-mail me at (Ask Jason has been discontinued)

DISCLAIMER: The answers to questions in this segment are intended to be general in nature and do NOT constitute tax advice. Please contact a tax advisor to discuss your unique situation.

Q: My mother had an IRA of $15,000. Do we have to pay tax on $3,700?

A: This is a tough question to answer without more information. I am not sure where you are getting $3,700 from ($3,700 is 24.7% of $15,000; not sure where the 24.7% is coming from). If you are a beneficiary of your mother’s IRA, you have two options: take a cash distribution now and be taxed on it at your regular tax rate, or roll it into a beneficiary IRA and start taking required minimum distributions (RMD) each year based on your life expectancy. The RMD would be taxable income each year. I suggest you contact a tax advisor to discuss these options more fully.

Q: What happens if I don’t report a 2011 Form 1099-K?

A: You still need to report the amounts that were reported to you on the 1099-K. You just don’t put the amounts on the line marked “1099-K” on the Schedule C or Form 1065/1120/1120S. Instead, you put it with your other receipts on the “Other Receipts” line. For example on a Schedule C, Line 1(a) is for 1099-K amounts. You put $0 there this year. Line 1(b) is for other receipts, which is where amounts from a 1099-K go this year.

(Before anyone else sends an e-mail about Form 1099-K, please read this post.)

Q: Can I take payments to an unlicensed consultant as a writeoff?

A: Yes, if they performed work for you. Remember to issue a 1099-MISC if they are unincorporated and you paid them more than $600.

“This blog post, along with comments that may follow, should not be considered tax advice. Before you make final tax or financial decisions, please secure a professional tax advisor to give you advice about your unique situation. To secure Jason as your accountant, please click on the ‘Services’ link at the top of the page.”

Extend the Conversation Outward.

One way to extend this conversation is to post your thoughts and a link to this post to platforms like Twitter, Facebook or Google Plus. Thank you...